Muscle roller sticks have long been popular with runners, fitness enthusiasts, and athletes of all skill levels.
Not only are they versatile and portable, but they allow the user to pinpoint painful trigger points in order to achieve myofascial release and eliminate muscle soreness.
But how do you choose the right muscle roller stick for your needs?
To help you make the right choice, we’ve put together this comprehensive muscle roller stick buyer’s guide.
In this article, we’re going to look at the following massage sticks:
- Tiger Tail Roller
- Physix Gear Roller
- TriggerPoint GRID STK
- IDSON Muscle Roller
- Elite Muscle Roller Stick
- Addaday Deep Tissue Roller
- RAD Rod
But before we review the top sticks currently available on the market, let’s take a look at why you should be using a muscle roller stick and which features you should look for when buying one.
Why Use a Muscle Roller Stick?
Using a muscle roller stick before, during, and after a workout has been found to offer many benefits, including faster muscle recovery, reduced muscle pain, improved flexibility, and enhanced performance.
Muscle roller sticks are also essential tools for anyone wanting to perform self-myofascial release – a deep tissue massage aimed at breaking up constricted groups of soft tissue called trigger knots.
It is thought that muscle roller sticks aid in muscle recovery by encouraging blood and oxygen to flow to the affected areas.
These myofascial release tools are ideal for treating areas of the body that are difficult to massage using a foam roller such as the back, neck, shoulders, hamstrings, and calves.
What to Look for When Buying a Muscle Roller Stick
Muscle roller sticks come in a variety of designs, lengths, and densities.
The right stick for you will depend on the severity of the injury, your pain tolerance, and your level of activity, among other factors. That said, there are a few basic things you should be looking for in a good muscle roller stick.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while you shop.
Muscle roller sticks vary widely in terms of how flexible they are. Some sticks have a flexible core for treating sensitive areas of the body, while others have a rigid core that is ideal for targeting deep knots in the larger muscle groups.
The length of a muscle roller stick not only determines its portability, but also the parts of the body it can be used on.
Generally speaking, longer muscle roller sticks are ideal for massaging wide areas of the body, such as the back, while shorter massage sticks are perfect for targeting the calves, hamstrings, and quads.
Before purchasing a stick, think about how you intend to use it and whether you plan to travel with it.
Muscle roller sticks have different surfaces. Some are covered with a cushioning layer of EVA foam, while others have spiked or ribbed surfaces.
Before purchasing a muscle roller stick, consider your pain tolerance and intended use for the stick.
Many muscle roller sticks feature ergonomic handles that not only provide you with greater control during use, but also help prevent hand fatigue.
A muscle roller stick’s price is usually a good indicator of its quality.
Cheap muscle roller sticks tend to be made with cheap plastic parts that squeak or fall apart over time, whereas more expensive muscle rollers sticks are usually made from high-quality materials that won’t deteriorate with repeated use.
The Best Muscle Roller Sticks
Now that you have a basic understanding of how muscle roller sticks are used and what you should be looking for when shopping for one, let’s take a look at the top muscle roller sticks that are currently available on the market.
We’ve based these selections on a number of factors, including design, ease of use, overall customer satisfaction and, of course, price.
1. Original Tiger Tail Massage Stick
- MASSAGE THERAPY AND MUSCLE RELIEF, ANYWHERE: Our...
- COMFORTABLE, GENTLE, & EFFECTIVE: Tiger Tail's...
- INDUSTRY LEADING, ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED MASSAGE...
- Available in different lengths
- Ergonomic design
- Easy to clean
- 3-year warranty
- May be too firm for some
- Tends to snag clothing
The Tiger Tail Massage Stick is designed to deliver deep massages that increase blood flow to the affected areas of the body to relieve pain and speed muscle recovery.
It is covered with a high-quality closed cell foam, which eliminates the painful pinching that can occur when using roller sticks made with hard plastic pieces.
The Tiger Tail Massage Stick also features ergonomic handles, which help prevent hand fatigue and allow for a more consistent application of pressure.
If you’re looking for a muscle roller stick that will reach deep knots to relieve tight, sore muscles, the Tiger Tail Massage Stick will get the job done.
That said, some users have found this stick to be too firm. Another minor complaint from some users is that the Tiger Tail Massage Stick tends to snag on clothing.
This stick is backed by a generous 3-year warranty, though, which allows you to basically try the stick before buying it.
2. Physix Gear Sport Muscle Roller Stick
- NO-SQUEAK AND PORTABLE - At only 17.4 x 1.9 x 1.9...
- SUPERB QUALITY AND RELIEF - Designed with utmost...
- SOOTHING DAYS AND NIGHTS - Facilitates effective...
- Seven independent spindles
- Water resistant
- Can be used over clothing
- Backed by lifetime satisfaction guarantee
- Slightly heavier than other muscle roller sticks
The Physix Gear Sport Muscle Roller Stick for Athletes is made from a high-quality thermoplastic material that not only adds to the durability of the roller, but also eliminates the annoying squeaking sound that is often produced by muscle roller sticks made with cheap plastic parts.
Featuring seven independent spindles on a durable steel core, the Physix Gear Sport Muscle Roller Stick digs deep into muscle knots to massage away tension, break up pockets of lactic acid, and eliminate post-workout muscle soreness.
The stick also has ergonomic handles, which give you greater control and prevent hand fatigue when massaging hard-to-reach muscles like the back, calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, and shoulders.
We love the compact design of the Physix Gear Sport Muscle Roller Stick. At just 17.4 inches long, it can be easily tossed into a gym bag, duffel bag, or corner of a suitcase.
It is slightly heavier than other muscle roller sticks, though, so if you like to travel light, this may not be the best stick for you.
In terms of price, the Physix Gear Sport Muscle Roller Stick is one of the more expensive options on this list, but it is covered by a lifetime customer satisfaction guarantee.
3. TriggerPoint STK Handheld Foam Roller
- Portable, handheld massage roller incorporating...
- Targets both large muscle groups and pinpoints...
- AcuGRIP handles provide targeted relief that...
- Available in two densities
- Ergonomic AcuGrip handles
- Unique three-dimensional surface grooves
- Difficult to use on the back
- Only available in one length
What makes The TriggerPoint Performance GRID STK Handheld Foam Roller stand out from other muscle roller sticks on our list is its unique three-dimensional grooved surface, which channels oxygenated blood directly to muscle knots to relieve pain, speed muscle healing, and increase range of motion.
This lightweight, portable muscle roller stick is available in two densities: regular and extra firm – and features AcuGrip handles – small nodules that mimic the pressure of a massage therapist’s thumb to provide targeted relief to deep muscle knots.
The TriggerPoint Performance GRID STK is only available in one length (21 inches), which makes it ideal for use on large muscle groups but more challenging to use on hard-to-reach areas of the body (such as the back).
Overall, though, this is a great tool for relieving tight muscles in the calves, hamstrings, shoulders, and neck.
4. IDSON Muscle Roller Stick
- MUSCLE ROLLER STICK to ease and condition muscle...
- GREAT DESIGN - Made from high quality industrial...
- VERY PORTABLE - Only 17.5x1.5...
- Nine independent rollers for targeted relief
- Steel rod core
- Compact design
- Water resistant
- Not ideal for use over clothing
Measuring only 17.5 inches long and weighing just over half a pound, the IDSON Muscle Roller Stick can be easily thrown in a gym back and taken to the gym, the court, or anywhere else you need on-the-go muscle relief.
It features a steel rod core for a more consistent massage, and ergonomic handles made from polypropylene and thermoplastic rubber.
But what makes the IDSON Muscle Roller Stick truly unique is its nine ABS independent rollers, which allow you to more effectively target trigger points in difficult-to-treat areas of the body like the neck, shoulders, glutes, back, hamstrings, and calves.
This is a solidly constructed stick built to withstand years of daily use. Its steel core is water-resistant, ensuring smooth, corrosion-free operation, and its handles are made from industrial strength materials that won’t deteriorate with repeated use.
The plastic rollers do a great job of digging deep into muscle knots to break up constricted areas of the fascia and relieve muscle pain. That said, the rollers can make the stick a bit noisy, and they tend to get stuck when massaging over clothing.
5. Elite Muscle Roller Stick
- OUR CALF ROLLER TARGETS SORE, TIGHT MUSCLES AND...
- OUR MASSAGING STICK ALLOWS YOU TO APPLY AS MUCH...
- OUR QUAD ROLLER IS COMFORTABLE, STURDY, AND SMOOTH...
- Designed to aid in self-myofascial release
- Specially designed for use on the legs
- Ergonomic handles
- Only available in one length
- May cause pain when used on sensitive areas
The Elite Muscle Roller Stick is a compact tool that is designed to aid in self-myofascial release. Measuring 18 inches long, it is the ideal length for massaging the calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, and iliotibial (IT) bands.
Like the Tiger Tail Massage Stick, the Elite Muscle Roller Stick features ergonomic handles that reduce hand fatigue and allow for greater control during use. Unlike the Tiger Tail, however, the Elite Muscle Roller Stick does not have any cushioning.
This can make the stick painful to use on sensitive areas. Another drawback of the Elite Muscle Roller Stick is that it is only available in one length.
Despite these minor niggles, the Elite Muscle Roller stick offers exceptional durability and performance for its relatively low price.
6. Addaday Deep Tissue Leg Massage Roller
- PRO MUSCLE MASSAGER: Measures 21 inches long with...
- MULTI MUSCLE RELIEF: Roll on larger muscle areas...
- FOR RUNNERS: Use before and after your workout to...
- Designed specifically for runners
- Three levels of firmness
- Independent rollers for targeted massage
- Only available in one size
The Addaday Deep Tissue Leg Massage Roller for Runners is designed to be used before and after a workout to prevent muscle soreness, heel pain, shin splints, and other running-related injuries.
It features five independent rollers that offer three levels of firmness: soft, medium, and precise.
Like the IDSON Muscle Roller Stick, the Addaday Deep tissue Leg Massage Roller has a steel core, which adds to the massage stick’s durability and allows you to apply consistent pressure where you need it most.
To use the stick, simply roll it over large areas of the body or, for a more targeted massage, move the rollers in a circular motion over muscle knots.
Measuring 21.5 inches long, the Addaday Deep Tissue Leg Massage Roller is slightly less portable than the IDSON Muscle roller Stick and other compact models.
It is also a bit pricey when compared to other massage roller sticks, but its higher price tag is somewhat justified by the fact that you essentially get three massage tools in one.
7. RAD Rod
- RELIEVE ACHES AND PAINS. Reduce inflammation and...
- INCREASED MOBILITY. Improve joint range of motion...
- RECOVER LIKE A PRO. Promote faster...
- Durable steel core
- EVA foam roller
- Can be used on sensitive areas of the body
- Only available in one density
The RAD Rod features a sturdy steel core and EVA foam roller, which grips the skin and provides extra cushioning when massaging sensitive areas of the body like the neck, triceps, forearms, calves, shins, and even jaw.
The RAD Roller can be used alone or with other recovery tools to reduce muscle fatigue and soreness after a workout.
What we love most about the RAD Roller is its slim design, which not only adds to its portability but also allows for more precise targeting of trigger points. We also like that the RAD Roller can be used on virtually any body part.
While we would have liked to see a wider range of densities, the RAD Roller is a great tool for massaging the entire body.
Tips and Warnings
Muscle roller sticks are generally considered to be safe, but there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind in order to protect against injury and boost your post-workout recovery.
Below are a few tips for first-time users.
- Start out with a soft density. If you’re a first-time user, massaging with a stick that is too firm may exacerbate your pain and cause further injury. Start with a soft stick and work your way up to a firmer or higher density stick over time.
- If you experience pain, stop. A common mistake made by beginners is massaging too hard. You don’t have to apply a lot of pressure to achieve results. In fact, research shows that massage frequency is more important than massage intensity when treating certain conditions, such as chronic neck pain. If you feel any pain while using a massage stick, stop and adjust your pressure.
- Keep your muscles relaxed. This will allow the muscle roller stick to penetrate deeper and break up constricted areas of soft tissue.
The video above provides a guide on how to use your stick.
Adding a muscle roller stick to your collection of self-massage tools is a great way to achieve myofascial release at home so you can recover faster and perform better.
We hope this comprehensive guide has helped you understand the different options that are available so you can choose the right stick for your specific needs.
Last update on 2019-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API