As the world wakes up to the fact that saturated fats from natural foods are not the nutritional villains many once believed them to be, coconut oil is enjoying something of a renaissance.
In fact, coconut oil, densely packed with a multitude of nutritional delights, could actually change your life.
Here’s are some of the best known benefits of coconut oil:
The Benefits of Coconut Oil
1. It’s Could Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
Forget everything you thought you knew about saturated fats and heart disease. It turns out that natural, healthy fats like the ones found in coconut oil are great for your heart. Coconut oil is packed with lauric acid, a substance that prevents various heart problems, as well as dealing with high blood pressure and helping to lower cholesterol levels.
Your arteries will also thank you for adding more coconut oil into your diet – it helps reduce the risk of damage to these essential blood vessels.
2. It’ll Boost Your Immune System Dramatically
Coconut is anti-everything!
It’s antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral, which means it’s great for fighting off all types of illness.
Using coconut oil in your cooking or consuming it solo helps to reduce candida within the body, fight off bacteria that can cause illness, and also create an environment in your body where viruses can’t thrive.
Feeling a little under the weather? Up your intake of this wonderful oil.
3. It’s a Useful Beauty Product
Coconut oil can be used in a multitude of ways to enhance your appearance.
– Skin Care
- Coconut oil can be used to keep you skin looking healthy in a variety of different situations. Use it as a moisturising agent after shaving or showering for baby-soft skin. Smooth the oil into the ends of your hair for frizz-free and beautifully soft strands.
- The advantages aren’t just superficial, either. If you suffer from eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis or a range of other skin conditions, coconut oil could help to restore your skin to its naturally beautiful state. Just apply topically on a regular basis and let the natural oil work its magic.
– Oil Pulling
- You can even use coconut oil for ‘oil pulling’ – an ancient technique to whiten teeth, which involves swilling oil around in the mouth for up to twenty minutes, removing toxins from the gums and brightening the smile.
– Need More Beauty ideas?
Coconut oil is so versatile that in the area of beauty it can be used in so many different areas. To name a few:
- Insect Repellent
- Natural deodorant
See the list below for more uses!
4. It Reduces Your Risk of Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes has been described as one of the biggest epidemics facing the modern population, as sugar pervades contemporary diets and proves a hard habit to kick. Coconut oil can help reduce the risk of developing this life-changing illness, purely by making your body more sensitive to insulin.
When your body stops responding to insulin (after long periods of excess sugar consumption), your cells will no longer take in the essential glucose it needs to fuel the body. The body then pumps out enormous amounts of insulin, and this overproduction leads to diabetes. Coconut oil helps to reverse this process, ensuring that your body is more sensitive to insulin and helping to regulate your blood sugar levels more effectively.
5. It Balances Your Hormones
Is there no end to coconut oil’s abilities? As well as helping to fight diabetes and protect your heart, it can also regulate your hormones – something which is enormously important for many women. Coconut oil can have a positive impact on oestrogen levels in menopausal women, and can also help women with hormonal imbalances like PCOS.
6. It Boosts Your Memory
Got a big test coming up? Worried about the depletion of your short-term memory? Add some coconut oil to your cooking.
A study published in 2004 found that the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil can improve the memory, with scientists claiming that this is because the oils and acids help to fuel the brain without tapping into your body’s insulin reserves. Your recall abilities will be improved, and your brain will function more efficiently – what more could you ask for?
7. Makes Life Easy in the Kitchen
For the most part we associate ‘coconut’ as a food, so we can’t ignore it’s benefits in the kitchen.
- Use it as a diary creamer
- Don’t want to use butter? Use Coconut Oil instead.
- Can replace using cooking spray or regular sunflower oil.
- Coconut oil can be used to prolong the life of eggs.
- Can be added to smoothies for extra nutrients.
- Use it for baking
- Pets such as dogs can take it as a remedy
The Benefits of Coconut Oil are Limitless
You’ve now got a good idea of the amazing benefits of coconut oil. Not only have we seen the benefits, but an array of how versatile it is. It can be used as a health, beauty and household product.
If you’re not already using it you should at least consider trying it out. If you were to buy some, you’re sure to be able to find some good used for it.
We hope this article has been interesting and informative, as well as educating you on the benefits of coconut oil!