When you’re looking for the best walking shoes for women, there are certain features you should look for to get the most out of your shoe investment. While popular brands offer a wide range of stylish walking shoes, every shoe may not provide the things you need to support your feet, ankles, legs, or back.
The Best Walking Shoes for Women
Now that we have been through what to look for in a walking shoe we can begin to look at some of the best and most popular options.
These walking shoes have several features you may find beneficial during your walking experience. These shoes also have a few aspects that may not work for you.
1. Skechers Performance Womens Go Walk 2
- Lightweight slip-on with breathable mesh and...
- Ortholite footbed and resalyte cushioning
- Agion odor-treated lining
- Lightweight – Weighing at 1.2 pounds, these shoes allow long-term walking usage. The mesh outer covering is breathable allowing feet to stay dry.
- Odor prevention – The Agion odor-treated lining helps preserve the shoe by blocking odor-causing bacteria that can be generated by excessive moisture. The insole of the shoe is constructed with an Ortholite footbed. This type of sole is made with Cell-Foam Technology; a breathable material that promotes air circulation. These inner soles also control moisture. The antimicrobial foam also reduces odor-causing bacteria.
- Flexible – The structure of the shoe provides a quarter-inch shaft space from the arch and the platform is also about a quarter-inch. The insole of the shoe is constructed with an Ortholite footbed. This type of sole is made with Cell-Foam Technology; a breathable material that promotes air circulation.
- Size not true fit – A half size may be required to attain a comfortable fit.
- Quick wear-out – Depending on the length of time worn and extensive movement such as long distance consecutive hour walking. Approximate consistent wear length may range between a few weeks to six months.
- Possible insufficient arch support – Depending on the size of your foot and the space provided, the shoe may be a bit tight over the arch.
If you’re looking for something thats quick to slip on then these Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk are a great option.
2. Easy Spirit Women’s Romy Sneaker
- Removable insole and durable outsole
- Easy Spirit
- US Women
- Leather construction – This material can be worn during any season and shields feet from cold and wet weather. Leather is long-lasting and supports the feet on all sides.
- Lightweight – Although this shoe is made of leather and has a rubber sole with a half-inch heel, it weighs only two pounds and measures at 12 X 8 X 4 inches.
- Moisture management – The bottom rubber sole and the Nylex lining work together to provide a stable platform while reducing moisture.
- Lack of arch and ankle support – The tongue is narrow and may restrict comfort around the arch or ankle. May not suitable for those with plantar fasciitis and other foot problems such as flat feet.
- Width larger than true size – This shoe may provide extra space beyond the true width size around the back of your heel and toe area. A smaller, narrow, or medium size may be more comfortable.
Easy Spirit is a reputable brand that many consumers enjoy. This Romy Sneaker has received high ratings for comfort level. This walking can be worn for work or play. Depending on your needs, this shoe may meet your activity demands. However, while the shoe design appears to adequate support, here are a few areas you should consider before purchasing this shoe.
3. KEEN Women’s Presidio Shoe
- Waterproof;Stains can be treated by lightly...
- Supportive, adventurous lace-up with cushioned...
- Cleansport NXT for natural odor control
- Quality construction – Crafted with a combination of nubuck leather and mesh lining, this shoe provides double protection. The water-resistant leather keeps feet dry and the leather linings block excessive inner moisture.
- Toe protection – This shoe protects feet in the toe bed area. The upper front part of the shoe is layered with patented material called Keen Protect.
- Durable non-marking sole – The rubber sole on these shoes provide firm gripping, stability, and support. The metatomical footbed contributes to arch support. The sole do not leave marks on floors.
- Lightweight – These shoes weigh two pounds.
- High support level – Although this shoe provides sufficient arch support, the level of support may be too much if your feet is sensitive around the metatarsal area. However, the linings can be removed to adjust comfort level.
- Squeaky – While this shoe provides adequate sole support and does not cause skid marks, this shoe may generate some squeaky noise.
- Inaccurate fit – A half size larger may provide more room particularly around the toe area.
Giving the appearing of a hiking shoe, this stylish walking shoes is available in 12 colors. It offers a range of benefits that many customers enjoy on a regular basis. If you’re looking for a shoe that’s sporty yet dressy/causal this shoe may suit your style preference.
Listed below are several features of the KEEN Women’s Presido Shoe which have been noted be beneficial while other features might reduce comfort.
New Balance Women’s WW665 Walking Shoe
- Mesh material – The ability to walk in a shoe that combats feet moisture is a benefit can support foot health. The ABZORB cushioning is foam-based polymer may provide some level of comfort.
- Lightweight – These shoes weigh three pounds. As a result, you may be able to reach your walking goals very quickly depending on the distance.
- Non-marking outsole – The Walking Strike Path Technology prevents skid marks so you can walk freely without worrying about messing up floors.
- Insufficient sole support – Although this shoe is constructed with ABZORB cushioning, it may not have enough foam to support the foot for long distance walking or standing.
- Insufficient grip – The sole do not offer a lot of grip when walking. So you may have to use caution when walking on tile or laminated floors.
This walking shoe has created a lot of positive comments about its performance. The benefits gained range from pain relief to true fit. Some of the features of the New Balance Women’s Walking Shoe that have been cited to be beneficial and negative include the:
5. Saucony Women’s Grid Omni Walker Walking Shoe
- Leather construction – The black leather looks stylish and provides protection from water and cold air.
- Advanced heel support – The GRID System Technology provides heel support by positioning heal in the center of the heel part of the shoe. The GRID cassette is the component which contributes to this support system. Extra protection is also provided through the XT-900 and SRC Crash Zone; shock absorption material.
- HRC Cushioning – The inner lining provides a soft environment for feet.
- May not relief some foot ailments – These shoes may not be suitable for those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, plantar fasciitis, or other debilitating foot conditions.
- Noisy – These shoes may squeak
- Uncomfortable arch support – The arch support padding or structure may be too high and tight which may not be suitable for extensive power walking.
The Omni Walker Walking Shoe is subtle in appearance but able to support feet in several ways. SADMERC approved (Statistical Analysis Durable Medical Equipment Regional Carrier), this shoe is covers the bases when it comes to getting you where you need to go.
Winner Roundup of Women’s Walking Shoe
The walking shoes presented here offer numerous benefits. Although style is typically one of the primary reasons that most shoes are chosen, if you suffer from foot problems, soles, width, and inner cushion should be carefully assessed so that you can feel comfortable while walking.
Based on the pros and cons of each shoe listed, the winner roundup is the Sacouny Women’s GRID Omni Walker Walking Shoe.
This shoe cradles the heel securely which needs the most support since that part of your foot experiences striking impact first.
The HRC- High Rebound Compound can also help stabilize your gait with additional forefoot support. Overall, the way you can determine if this shoe is a good option for you is to evaluate your arch, test the footbed, sole, and heel.
If you have foot problems, consult with a podiatrist for additional recommendations. If the Sacouny Women’s GRID fits the ideal walking shoe prescription, try it, and see how it may work for you.
Features to Evaluate
When a quality walking shoe can provide comfort and stability, you can walk long distances or stand without excessive discomfort. When you first examine a shoe, the first thing you’ll notice is the design. This feature is obvious however, key performance support aids may not be noticeable.
When a shoe is too flat, you will not get the support you need to prevent discomfort. If you have some type of back or leg problems, your ability to remain balanced will also be reduced. According to Dr. Elaine Allen, a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, an athletic shoe should have at a one-inch heel.
This part of the shoe is very important because it indicates how flexible and durable the shoe is. It also indicates how much comfort you will feel when your heel and toes hit the ground.
If it supports the arch and allows the foot to rest without restriction, the shoe you’re evaluating may be a good option.
Some shoes have removable insoles. This option allows you to wash the insoles to reduce odor-causing bacteria. The midsole is located near the heel and is typically made of EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) and/or PU (Polyurethane). These materials will generally provide a significant amount of comfort.
The outsole should be able to support the pressure of your weight while you’re walking and should be able to maintain traction for an extended period of time. The quality of a shoe will be revealed after a shoe is worn for several weeks.
Some shoes are designed to target every area of the foot but may fail to meet support needs sufficiently. Without adequate arch support, you may experience pain on the side of your foot. Walking shoes are available with low, neutral, or high arch support aids. You should examine your arch to ensure that you choose a shoe that will accommodate your needs.
The toe box area of a shoe should provide enough space for each toe to rest or move comfortably without causing pain. The ideal length between the end of a toe box and the longest toe should be equal to the width of your thumb. Without sufficient space, your toes could rub against the end of the toe box.
Additional tips on selecting a walking shoe can be found in the video below. In this video, Danny Dreyer of ChiRunning and ChiWalking shares advice on how to avoid blisters and pain.
Mr. Dreyer suggested selecting a walking shoe that feels good out the box. By doing so, you can forego the thought that breaking in a shoe will occur over time.
He also emphasized the importance of purchasing a walking shoe with a low heel due to the impact that your heel will be experience while you’re walking. However, he did suggest making adjustments to your walking pattern to avoid painful impact.
You can also review walking shoe selection recommendations in the video below.
Fitness Expert Carol Ann suggested consulting with a shoe expert so that you can make the best choice.
Before selecting a shoe, the fitness expert recommended that you or a shoe expert analyze your foot strike and walking gait. One way this can be accomplished is by conducting a water/paper foot analysis test.
After stepping on the piece of paper, your foot print will reveal the direction of your natural foot rotation. This natural process is called pronation and supination. Capturing videos of yourself walking on a treadmill can also help you and the shoe expert find a good shoe.
If you analyze the tread patterns on your current walking shoes, you can determine which brand and style is the best walking shoe option.
We hope you found this guide useful. So what’s your favorite walking shoe? If you feel that your shoe is worthy of making the list or you think we’ve missed one feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Thanks and happy walking!
Last update on 2019-02-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API